Baba 's Reviews > Consent to Love

Consent to Love by Abby Wood

"Bringing mindfulness into my day is easy. All I have to do is watch myself. Breathe in and breathe out, to be present in what I do--to taste and savor when I eat, to see what I look at and to hear the noises that surround me. All I need to do is let go, to release everything that is not me, so I am at one with the moment."
- by Mindfulproductivity.net -

Sadly, halfway through the story I just had to cave in. DNF. Consent to Love is nothing mindful and did not work for me. Not at all. This is not quality writing and I'm sorry to say it but I can't waste my precious time with such a bad book. Please read the blurb for a brief synopsis. I prefer to cut right to chase of the matter, and I try to make this as short as possible and preferably painless.

I know there's always a certain risk to discover a new author. I don't like the author's writing--it's corny and somewhat immature. There was nothing engaging or exciting about her writing style. I have read many erotic stories and I get it that those stories are mainly about sex; hopefully steamy, passionate, erotic, and sensual sex. With that said, Consent to Love didn't provide the great sex either. Yes, the damp panties, the wet and creamed pussy, the pebbled nipples, and "his hardness" were all over the story. But. It was kinda too much and above all, it was really badly written and it felt rather cheap. I want quality writing.

The main protagonists, Howahkan (Kane) and Ana, are boring and one-dimensional. The premise sounded interesting enough and what grabbed me in the first place was the Native American hero. I'd love to read more romance/erotic stories with a NA hero as a lead character. Yes, he had beautiful, long hair and dark, sparkling eyes. A great body too. Is that enough? No. Not by a long shot. The racial "conflict" felt construed and did not ring true to me. I wanted depth and thoughtfulness but I could not find/feel it. Personally, I'm living an interracial relationship, and I'm so ready and eager to read about those conflicts if the author is able to draw me in--to explain it properly and to make me feel where she's coming from. That said, her conflict was just a lukewarm excuse to try to enhance an already bad plot.

The stuttering. Why had the heroine to stutter (she only did it in the presence of Kane)? Because she was nervous? Because she felt insecure? Honestly, it was a turn off, and it seriously annoyed me. Kane rubbed his lips together. Again. Why did he rub his lips together? He did it all the time. I tried it out for myself, and I had to roll my eyes. I'm not sure but maybe I couldn't take it since I was already displeased with the plot and the characters.

Unfortunately I was very disappointed, and I can't recommend Consent to Love with a clear conscience.

Consent to Love was kindly provided by NetGalley.com in behalf of Carina Press

Published April 2, 2012 by Carina Press

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consent to Love.

04/20/2012
39.0% "The damp panties, the pebbled nipples, and "his hardness" are all over the story. I think the writing is corny and somewhat immature, and I don't particularly like the characters either. Gosh, I don't see me finishing this book. I don't like it. :-(" 4 comments

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Sounds interesting. Will be watching to see what you think.

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Hum... I'll be interested to see what you think of the book. Sometimes mixed review of a books are the best because you're prepared for just about anything. These are the type of books that sometimes end up being a favorite. Good luck. I hope you end up liking this one.

message 3: by Vallsykes (new)

Vallsykes Will wait for your review :)

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Hmm, can't wait to see what you think of this one, Baba.

Baba  @ladies
My full review is up. :-(

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Great honest review Baba! Oh dear...sorry it didn't work out for you. But the things you pointed out, would annoy me too, after a while. :)

Rain ~miss kinky knickers~ I'm sorry it didn't work for you, Baba (though it's a great review, regardless of that)! NA hero is my weak spot, too. But, then again, not every book can be (or should be) great. That's what makes us appreciate the good ones more.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Yes, when the writing is lacking...there's just no point in wasting your time! Thanks for the warning and great review, Baba!!

Baba  Wendy wrote: "Great honest review Baba! Oh dear...sorry it didn't work out for you. But the things you pointed out, would annoy me too, after a while. :)"

Thanks, Wen! Do not apologize dearie--such is life! We can't win them all.

Baba  Rain Hart wrote: "I'm sorry it didn't work for you, Baba (though it's a great review, regardless of that)! NA hero is my weak spot, too. But, then again, not every book can be (or should be) great. That's what makes..."

Thanks, Rain! Ah, NA heroes are seriously hot. Unfortunately, a body-hot-o-meter is just not enough to make me love a book! I think my actual read will be much, much better. :-)

Baba  Leslie wrote: "Yes, when the writing is lacking...there's just no point in wasting your time! Thanks for the warning and great review, Baba!!"

Thanks, Leslie! Yeah, I prefer quality over quantity. ;)

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ I appreciate the honest review - will definitely be avoiding this one.

message 13: by Karla (new)

Karla Sometimes the sex, and in this case not even good sex, is just too much! Maybe his lips were chapped and that's why he kept rubbing them together...LOL! Nice review Baba.

Elizabeth (Liz) Well, Baba, you know I agree:) Excellent review!

Baba  Denise wrote: "I appreciate the honest review - will definitely be avoiding this one."

You're welcome, Denise! Don't waste your time with this book!

Baba  Karla wrote: "Sometimes the sex, and in this case not even good sex, is just too much! Maybe his lips were chapped and that's why he kept rubbing them together...LOL! Nice review Baba."

LOL Thanks for your comment, Karla! I don't think that his lips were chapped though. :-(

Baba  Elizabeth wrote: "Well, Baba, you know I agree:) Excellent review!"

Thanks, Elizabeth! Well, it's nice that we agree. :-)
I hope your actual read is way better!

message 18: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay Great review, Baba! LMAO! Maybe he was kind of smacking his lips together while thinking of a tasty treat? No? LOL!

Baba  Lisa Kay wrote: "Great review, Baba! LMAO! Maybe he was kind of smacking his lips together while thinking of a tasty treat? No? LOL!"

LOL Thank you, Lisa Kay! I'm rather clueless. Ah, I have to move on my dear. This was a bit annoying!

KindleRomance Reviews Bummer!

Baba  Kris (KindleRomance) wrote: "Bummer!"

LOL Kris! Well, no comment.