Brad's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Aug 28, 2008

bookshelves: speculative, pulitzer, dystopian, to-read-again

There is little plot in The Road, and that is good; the story is tedious, repetitious and slow, and that too is good; the story is about two characters and the way they love each other, and this is very good; all the information you need about McCarthy's future world is there if you want to do the work, and doing the work is also good; when it comes down to it The Road is very good no matter the complaints you may read or hear to the contrary.

That is all I can say for now. I need to let The Road settle in my consciousness to see where it will land in my pantheon of books.

What I can say is that it moved me deeply, the prose was a wonder, and I think it is one of the best father/son relationships I have ever encountered.

If my strong feelings deepen this book will rise in my estimation; if my feelings weaken it may wound this book terminally for me. Only time will tell.

But one final comment I must make is that anyone who compares The Road to Blindness -- or worse states that the latter is greater than the former -- is one whose opinions are necessarily suspect. The former is genuine, realistic, stark, unwavering; the latter is an unimaginative debacle posing as deep allegory. Read the former and steer clear of the latter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

06/14/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Lydz (new)

Lydz Truer words were never said.

Brad I'm guessing you're referring to my final paragraph, yes?

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen I guess I need to read Blindness and decide. Then we can fight, I hope. Unless I agree with you and then, well, we can still fight about something I'm sure.

Brad I'm not usually such a big jerk, but Blindness really, really bugged me. I still need to reread The Road to see if it holds up for me. My review may have to change if it doesn't.

Stephen Tuck The road doesn't try to do anything flashy, does it. It just quietly gets under your skin. And - at least for me - it stays with you.

Brad Yeah. It does. I've not read it in a long time, and I happened to see the movie poster the other day and I caught a shiver, and not from the movie, from what this book has done by settling uncomfortably in my sub-cutaneous fat.