Shelley's Reviews > Me

Me by Elton John

bookshelves: audiobook, autobiography-memoir

Of all the music I've loved in my life, I come back most often to Elton John's songs, the tracks least likely to prompt me to change the dial or tell Alexa to skip. I'll listen to it the rest of my life, and I'm sure people will still be listening to it many lifetimes after I'm gone.

Maybe I enjoyed every page of his autobiography so completely because I'm a fan, but I don't think it's only that. The writing is simple, engaging and honest, with a thread of humor and self-awareness running through it like a clear, sparkling stream. It swept me along.

John starts in childhood and takes us to his life now, outlining the life, loves and music that led him to being the musician that he is. He gives us the good and bad, unflinchingly revealing his own mistakes and poking fun at himself (yes, he's aware his sense of style is over the top, but he loves having fun with fashion, as you may have noticed).

He's had a fascinating life and long career. I enjoyed the insight into his personal life and tales of the famous names he's encountered along the way, which included everyone from John Lennon and Katharine Hepburn to Sylvester Stallone and Michael Jackson. The stories are never mean or overly personal -- he knows when to pull a punch.

What I didn't expect was to be in tears numerous times throughout the book. If I'd thought about it for half a minute I should've expected it, just from knowing of his friendship with Ryan White, Princess Diana and Gianni Versace if nothing else. It caught me off guard, but even with my reluctance to read sad stories, the tears were always worth it, always felt like they connected me more deeply to John's story.

And I should add, this book definitely was not a sad story. Although there were many tragic moments in his life, a sense of fun and exuberance permeates these pages. I simply loved it.

Side Note: I listened to the audiobook AND read the ebook, switching back and forth between the two, sometimes reading while listening (thanks, Amazon Whispersync!) In the audio version, John reads the Prologue and Epilogue, while actor Taron Eagerton narrates the rest. Eagerton crushes it, just as he does his portrayal of John in the film Rocketman. I can't recommend one format over the other, however, as this book is equally fantastic whether you're reading or listening.

I talk about books, life, and what's good on TV at Choco Wino's Magazine Wine Party.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me.

January 14, 2020 – Started Reading