Jonathan Pongratz's Reviews > Four Horsemen, at Their Leisure

liked it
bookshelves: short-story

Original Review at Jaunts & Haunts

3/5

I gave this short story three post-apocalyptic stars!

Based on the blurb, I picked this one up right away. Post apocalyptic theme? Four horsemen? And a little quirky humor? Sign me up!

The Four Horsemen have destroyed everything as they were ordered to by the Consensus, but now they roam the empty shell of the world unfulfilled. That is, until they discover life growing on Earth once more.

This short story started off great. I loved the four horsemen and how they interacted with each other. They each had their own little quirks and that was really enjoyable.

Also, the ending was really great and made me smile.

Unfortunately, the middle was where I had some issues. The reader gets an explanation of the Consensus, the Adversary, and other references to the hierarchy of power in Heaven/Hell/The Cosmos, whatever you want to call it, but it totally took me out of the story.

If this is a short story, why do I need such a confusing, in-depth conversation? I'm not daft, but I started getting confused with all the name drops and what they were trying to infer.

I honestly would've just preferred they stuck with the original train of thought and setting in the beginning and leave it at that.

Overall, this short story was entertaining, but left me wanting a lot more. But who knows, maybe this story is for you! Happy Reading!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four Horsemen, at Their Leisure.

January 14, 2020 – Started Reading