All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Undead to the World

Apr 17, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia
Read in December, 2012

The Bloodhound Files is a series unafraid to disregards the laws of physics for the sake of a great story, and UNDEAD TO THE WORLD is one of the best yet. Though heavy on plot and a little light on character, Jace’s banter and action has always been enough to keep me coming back for more.

Barant is not afraid to push the boundaries of his world outward in every book, and his mind bending plots often have me questioning “reality” alongside the characters. UNDEAD TO THE WORLD is a prime example of this mechanic, opening to a recognizable world that is oh so askew from where I had expected to find Jace. Much of a reader’s ability to try and unravel this puzzling plot hinges on recognizing hints of familiar characters in their new incarnations, so I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone who isn’t caught up on the series.

Despite being “a book apart” from Thropirelem, UNDEAD TO THE WORLD will be immediately familiar to fans. The story runs a convoluted plot on a steady diet of witty repartee. I’ll follow Jace and Charlie anywhere and my favorite parts of this book were when they were simultaneously figuring things out and bantering back and forth. As much as I enjoyed this funny, interesting book, the ending lowered my rating from 4 bats to 3. The climax of UNDEAD TO THE WORLD took a reasonable (and expected) cliffhanger and mashed on a little love triangle angst that had only the barest prior references, a move that lowered my appreciation over all.

Barant’s plots, while intricate and impressive, also tend to be so over the top I feel a bit disconnected. While UNDEAD TO THE WORLD does a better job with all the moving parts and magical mechanics that characterize this series, this book-long digression from Thropirelem left me very conflicted. Barant has orchestrated some every interesting possibilities for his characters, but those tantalizing futures were buried under a rather abrupt cliffhanger that turned me off. Fans of the series won’t want to miss this one, and despite my frustrations, I know I’ll be back for more.

Sexual Content: Kissing, references to sex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undead to the World.

05/29/2016 marked as: read