Josh's Reviews > The Sun Also Rises

Apr 17, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: read-2013, longish-reviews
Read from January 18 to February 04, 2013

For a school project, I made a The Sun Also Rises chapter generator. It's a lot of fun! Here's a link:

Here are some examples of the fun to be had:

That morning Jake went to the Montmarte. Robert was there. "Let's go to the Madeleine," Robert suggested. "There's great margarita there," Jake said. "And dancing!" Jake smiled at Robert. Robert and Jake touched glasses and toasted. Jake bought Robert some whiskey. "Do you want to dance?" Robert asked. "I'm a terrible dancer," Jake said. Robert talked about accusations of nastiness. Robert wasn't thirsty. Brett strolled by. Brett talked about France. Jake asked to dance. "I'm going, farewell, chaps," Jake said. "About time," Brett whispered. Robert was drunk. Jake took a taxi-cab to his hotel for the night.

Jake got up feeling nasty. Harvey made an entrance. Jake went to his hotel room to think about his infidelity.

Jake decided to go to the St. Etienne du Mont. Mike said hello. Jake talked about taxi-cabs. Mike wanted to go to the Boulevard St. Michel. Jake took a slug. "Unfortunately I have other appointments for this evening, so I must bid farewell," Mike said. "Good riddance," Jake said. Harvey walked in. "Don't get drunk, Jake," Harvey said. "I already am," Jake said. Harvey grumbled at Jake. Jake smiled at Harvey. They decided to leave for the boulevard. Harvey talked about Vienna. Harvey was a good drunk. They took taxi-cabs to the Madeleine. Jake really hated Harvey. Jake went home for the night.

Jake got up feeling sad. Georgette the Poule appeared. Jake felt sad. Jake poured some fine á l'eau in Georgette the Poule's glass. "I've had enough of you lot," Georgette the Poule said, leaving. Harvey strolled by. Harvey grumbled at Jake. "Say that again!," Jake said, rising from the chair. "Calm down, I didn't mean it," Harvey said. "I'm sorry," Jake said, sitting down. "I guess I'm being ill." Frances came out of nowhere. Frances talked about fishing. Frances bought Jake some tequila. Frances reeled back and knocked Harvey out cold. They went to the Avenue. Frances and Jake touched glasses and toasted. "I'm drunk," Frances said. "You are drunk," Jake agreed. Jake frowned at Frances. Frances tipped the waiter. They went into a taxi-cab and told the driver to drive them to the Rue Mouffetard before going to the apartment. Jake was drunk. Jake went home and stared in the mirror.

After shaving Jake went to the Liège. Brett walked out of a taxi-cab. Harvey walked out of a taxi-cab. "It's getting late. See you all tomorrow, I suppose?" Harvey said, getting up. Brett looked very pale. They passed the little square with the trees on their way to the apartment. Georgette the Poule came out of nowhere. "I'm drunk," Brett laughed. Jake frowned at Brett. Jake lit a cigar. "I'm sad," Brett said. "You are sad," Georgette the Poule agreed. "My my, look at the time," Georgette the Poule said, leaving. They paid the bill and the waiter hailed a taxi-cab to the Dome. Robert showed up. Jake took a taxi-cab to his hotel for the night.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun Also Rises.

01/22/2013 page 75
29.0% "…and I was planning on liking Hemingway, too."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Gergus Tell me if it's any good. I have the book, I've just never read it.

Josh That's how I was—until Showman happened (like a thief in the night)!