Crystal's Reviews > Firelight

Apr 17, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read from April 23 to June 07, 2012

This was a fun, fast read (that distracted me perfectly from the sad, soggy mess that was Mastiff). I won't say it was brilliant. I thought it suffered from the YA lit problem of repeating the same stuff over and over and over and over...I love him. I can't be with him. I won't be with him. I love him. whoops, did it again...to some extent, I felt that this was Romeo and Juliet done as Twilight, with Bella the supernatural instead, and as a draki, not a vampire. oh, and set in the desert, not a rainforest.
However, despite some awkward writing, the story itself was thoroughly involving and incredibly creative. I've never heard of draki before; the world Jordan creates is engrossing and fascinating, as well as coherent/ consistent. Some of the foreshadowing was a little heavy handed, and the ending is unsatisfying as a stand-alone novel, but I flew through this book very quickly, and can't wait to see what happens in the following books.
I have so many questions, such as what really happened to Jacinda's dad? Will we meet other prides? Why do we need to have another forced romantic triangle? Do Jacinda's mom and sister really have to stick around anymore? (Wow, they really annoyed me. So incapable of understanding Jacinda and her needs, and so forcefully trying to change her.) I liked Will a lot. And Jacinda. Most of the rest of the characters were interchangeable. and the jury is still out on Cassian, but I'm interested to see where Jordan takes him. Hoping the next two books follow up on this story just as enjoyably.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firelight.