CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > Girl, Serpent, Thorn

Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust

liked it
bookshelves: bisexual, fantasy, fiction, own, queer, reading-in-colour, young-adult

The concepts and bare bones of this queer fantasy YA were great, but the execution was lacking. While I liked the integration of ancient Persian mythology and folklore and the idea of a girl with poison in her veins realizing her curse may actually be a blessing, the characterization and plot details needed work.

The protagonist Soraya was rather inspid and spent a lot of the book wallowing in self-pity (it's understandable given her situation but not compelling to read about). I could tell she was supposed to be dark and edgy but I never truly thought she was.

The plot was jumbled and erratic, with Soraya often being moved along by the action instead of guiding it. Her love interest was actually a more dynamic character whose actions in crucial scenes weren't even shown on the page! I think telling this story from her perspective might have worked better.

I did really like the bisexual representation though! And I thought the ending was very well done. I could have overlooked this book's other flaws if I had been able to connect with Soraya and see her as a real person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Serpent, Thorn.

January 13, 2020 – Shelved
page 75
22.32% "Intriguing"
May 21, 2020 –
page 140
41.67% "This was feeling a little too generic YA fantasy in terms of character and plot for a while there, but now that the MC has committed murder and a character has been revealed to be something other than what they seemed my interest is piqued again."
May 23, 2020 –
page 209
May 23, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Lex (new) - added it

Lex Kent Really great review! I guess I'll temper my expectations some:)

CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian Thanks Lex! I hope you enjoy it despite my mixed experience.