Pamela Huxtable's Reviews > The Anatomist's Apprentice

Apr 17, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery
Read from April 17 to 22, 2012

This started off very promising, with an exciting murder, lots of intrigue and unsavory characters, plus a rather dull damsel in distress. The character's name is Lydia, so of course in my head I can't help but call her Lydia Languish. Our hero, Thomas Silkstone, steps in with a novel idea- trying to solve the mystery through science.

The character of Thomas Silkstone is very well done; he's an American in England to further his anatomist studies. The relationship Silkstone has with his mentor was the best thing about this book. The relationship with Lydia? Pfft. When Silkstone said,"This is madness!" during his first love scene with Lydia, I had to agree. I felt like I had taken a sudden side step into a bodice ripper,which is not my usual cup of tea.

There was a lot of fun vocabulary and some really good scene setting... The market on the iced over Thames was particularly good. But that Lydia would have to grow a backbone before I would read the next book in this series..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anatomist's Apprentice.