Charity's Reviews > Differentiating Instruction with Menus: Literature

Differentiating Instruction with Menus by Laurie E Westphal

bookshelves: homeschooling
Read 2 times. Last read December 13, 2019 to January 13, 2020.

I received a copy of this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers Program.

Although this is geared towards a classroom setting rather than to a homeschool, I found the approach as outlined here interesting and helpful. The idea: For each piece of literature, the teacher provides students with a menu of assignments from which to choose and a time frame for completion. Theoretically, this offers more variety for the students and makes it easier for teachers to customize the assignments for different levels, which could be particularly useful in a homeschool or co-op setting where there are frequently multiple levels in a single group.

The examples provided are helpful to understand how menus work in practice as well as providing plug-and-play materials for a couple dozen books, short stories, plays, and poems. My son just finished reading Black Ships Before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff, so I might try out one of the menus included for that book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Differentiating Instruction with Menus.

Finished Reading