Sarah's Reviews > Phantom Thief

Phantom Thief by P.D. Atkerson

bookshelves: 2020-reads, mystery, suspense, contemporary, homeschool-author, teen-boy, spy

Age Appropriate For: 13 and up for mild violence and intensity
Best for Ages: 13-25

This book was just a lot of fun. It was perfect for a sick day, which is when I read it. It had action, adventure, spies, a super-smart teen, and snappy dialogue.
I have two minor issues with this book neither of which is about the story and neither affected my enjoyment of the book enough to knock off any stars. However, the Kindle formatting wasn’t done right. There were breaks between chapters and there were a few minor flaws throughout. Second, the cover (I’m writing this review in 2020) is pretty cringe-worthy. Not the worst I’ve seen, but not great either.

This story has witty banter from beginning to end. All of it is well done. I have to applaud the author, which is hard to do. It’s part of what made this book stand out. I laughed out loud a few times, which is quite a feat because I don’t find many things funny when I’m running a fever. I probably would have laughed my head off if I had been well. The humor was just my type.

This book was fast pace. A couple of times I had trouble keeping up, but I enjoyed the fast pace and the antics and the improbable missions. Sure, some of it wasn’t believable, but this is more like one of those fun 80’s spy tv shows – it’s just meant for fun.

The characters were interesting and unique. They each stand out enough that even though there are a lot of them, I was rarely confused about who was who. The author gave them each their own voice and way of talking.

Overall, I recommend this book for those who like snarky humor, want a fun spy adventure, and those who like books about genius teens.

I received a copy of this book for review purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. All the thoughts in this review are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phantom Thief.

January 13, 2020 – Shelved