Igor Stojanov's Reviews > Sermons of Meister Eckhart

Sermons of Meister Eckhart by Meister Eckhart

Meister Echart tries to give more lucidity to the concepts of the Holy Trinity and God. He narrates his view of Christianity from a subjective lens. As such, he shortens the distance between the spirit of the Bible and our spirit. It is a good introduction on Christian Mysticism.

Some excerpts I enjoyed:
but by the resolute endeavour to abstract ourselves from time and space, we can, according to Eckhart, at rare moments, attain to the Absolute by virtue of what he calls "the spark" (Funkelein) of the soul, which comes direct from God. This is really God acting in man; to know God is to be one with God

-If I were a king, and did not know it, I should not really be a king. But, if I were fully convinced that I was a king, and all mankind coincided in my belief, and I knew that they shared my conviction, I should indeed be a king, and all the wealth of the king would be mine.

-Therefore, if the soul is to know God, it must know Him outside time and place, since God is neither in this or that, but One and above them.

-No man desires anything so eagerly as God desires to bring men to the knowledge of Himself. God is always ready, but we are very unready. God is near us, but we are far from Him.

-God in human nature is a lamp of living light, and "the light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not." The darkness must ever more flee the light, as the night flees day

-And thou shouldest know that to be empty of all creature's love is to be full of God, and to be full of creature-love is to be empty of God.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sermons of Meister Eckhart.

January 13, 2020 – Started Reading