Jenny's Reviews > Love And Other Battles

Love And Other Battles by Tess Woods

Where does one start when a novel is given to you like this, it's an absolute gift. So many emotions, it really packs a punch that's for sure. Tess warns the reader that it does delve into some fairly confronting territory and having not experienced any of the issues first hand as an observer I would say she does it with much care and thought. The storyline takes us back to the Vietnam War which in itself has it's own story of conflicting views and an uneasy, horrific chapter of Australia's and Vietnam's history. The controversy of conscription, and the fact we were there in the thick of things when so many people disagreed about our involvement, and then how the men and women that served were treated on their return is all there - it's hard to fathom really. The storyline also takes us to the challenges of a more modern world where the abusive use of technology can have dramatic and unimaginable outcomes for young adults. Boundaries and trust are broken which lead to devastating choices, again it doesn't hide from issues that are the utmost worst flow-on effects but also highlights the importance of seeking help and recognising that it takes hard work, understanding people who listen and a whole stack of resilience to move forward.
But there is also a stack of love in this novel, so much love. The title is absolutely perfect in every way. The love between people, even when the going gets really really tough is what the novel is really about - in so many ways. Love and other battles is one of the most amazing books I have yet to read. It has history, humour, humility, romance - the characterisation and research behind the storyline is absolutely superb. Highly recommend this novel but I would say to heed the warning that is on the first page, it may not be for everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love And Other Battles.

January 12, 2020 – Started Reading