Shelley's Reviews > I Miss You When I Blink: Essays

I Miss You When I Blink by Mary Laura Philpott

bookshelves: essays

These essays had a comfortable sense of familiarity to me. They made me laugh, nod my head in recognition, or mull over the truth that even when your world sounds pretty great in many respects (as the author's certainly does), you can still get sucker-punched by life and your own issues. Hell, even when you have some pretty significant problems, you can usually count the ways millions of people in the world have it worse - yet knowing that doesn't make your troubles melt away like a snowman in the sun.

Many passages reminded me of myself ... in small ways. The messed up ways rather than the "You're winning at life, pal!" ways. Her dire sense of direction, the need to plan things out, get things right, check off boxes, be responsible and reliable and expect others to behave similarly. Sometimes annoying the shit out of others with all of that. Taking up the slack at work or anywhere really; if others don't do what needs to be done, stepping up. And end up taking on too much. Swimming in anxiety at times. Yep, sounds familiar.

While I can't say I related to everything from personal experience, here's the cool part - I didn't have to, to appreciate these essays. They're human, and smart, and funny, and real. Suffice it to say these warm, insightful essays were a great read. Highly recommended.

I talk about books, life, and what's good on TV at Choco Wino's Magazine Wine Party.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Miss You When I Blink.

January 12, 2020 – Started Reading