Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Guapa

Guapa by Saleem Haddad

bookshelves: middle-east-2020, read2020, audiobook, location-kuwait
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: Yanira

Guapa was recommended to me by a guest on the Reading Envy Podcast a few years ago (thanks Yanira!) - Rasa is a young gay man in an unnamed Middle Eastern country on the brink of revolution. The story starts with his grandmother catching him in bed with another man and then goes back to tell the story of his parents, his American education (and how he struggled with Muslim and Arab identity in the states), and the underground bar Guapa which is a haven, most of the time.

I agree with some friends that we would have liked to know more of the story past the ending, and it could have been longer. But wanting more from a book is not a bad thing.

From his bio: "Saleem Haddad was born in Kuwait City to an Iraqi-German mother and a Palestinian-Lebanese father. He has worked with Médecins Sans Frontières and other international organisations in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Libya, Lebanon, and Egypt." I can see why he wanted to set this in an "unnamed Arab country" because his experience is itself so varied.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guapa.

January 12, 2020 – Started Reading