Kirsty Stanley's Reviews > Bookish and the Beast

Bookish and the Beast by Ashley Poston

5208770

bookshelves: arcs, own-printed-copy, read-in-2020
Read 2 times. Last read August 2, 2020 to August 4, 2020.

She’s done it again.

I could just leave my review there... but I won’t. I adore this series, it makes my geeky heart sing.

First up I want to let you know that these can be read as standalones. Each book focuses mostly on new people although, I would highly recommend reading them all to get full immersion.

We did meet Vance in book two, as the quintessential bad boy and it looks like he’s continued down that slippery slope into beastly ways since we last saw him. But like Jessica in book two, author Ashley allows us to delve beneath his Hollywood celebrity persona to see the real person underneath. He’s only really let his guard down like that once before but that’s easier when you are wearing a mask and not fearing the story getting to the press.

Rosie Thorne is a book geek like many of us, a sniffing the pages, stroking the spine, reading way past her bedtime type. In this story she gets to experience every book lover’s dream and nightmare. A huge library 😍, and a destroyed book 😭.

I loved unpicking all the little nods to Beauty and the Beast and there are a number of references to the Disney version but with much less Stockholm syndrome.

Like Elle in book one, Rosie has lost her mother but for her it is much more raw and this exploration of grief is explored sensitively.

As ever the diversity in terms of LGTBQIA+ characters is incorporated without fuss or rigmarole - best friend Quinn’s pronouns are introduced and used naturally, and before their gender identity. The challenge to get Quinn a place as Homecoming Royalty and to take it away from our Gaston type character is a welcome sub plot. The adult characters - Rosie’s father and Vance’s godfather are used well and who doesn’t love a dog named Sansa - Queen of the book!

If you are in need of mid pandemic pick me up this tale of two people ‘quarantined’ in a small town will be just the cure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bookish and the Beast.

January 12, 2020 – Shelved