Gwynn White's Reviews > Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives

Hitler and Stalin by Alan Bullock

bookshelves: historical

Phew... I survived reading this book mentally intact. That feels like a small miracle. It is hard to imagine two more evil men. In fact, at times Parallel Lives reads like fantasy, because it is almost inconceivable that people could actually have behaved like Hitler and Stalin did. But in the end I think the prize for most evil man of the 20th century (or perhaps any century) goes to ... drum roll .... Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin. He definitely wins hands down, no question. I think it is poetic justice that he died virtually at his own hand. SPOILER ALERT Having killed off all the doctors in Russia, there was no one to treat him when he got ill. So the bastard died. There is justice in the universe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitler and Stalin.

Finished Reading
April 16, 2012 – Shelved
April 16, 2012 – Shelved as: historical

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Max (new)

Max Tomlinson Looks like a fascinating book - thanks for the writeup and the unexpected winner of the evil man contest. But 1152 pages? Not sure I can handle that much Hitler and Stalin.

Gwynn White Max wrote: "Looks like a fascinating book - thanks for the writeup and the unexpected winner of the evil man contest. But 1152 pages? Not sure I can handle that much Hitler and Stalin."

Yes... it's not exactly a quick read, but well worth it if you like that time in history. It always amazes me that men like Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Franco and Hirohito all ended up on the world stage at the same time. What were the odds on that?

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Wow. No words. I want to read a book on Stalin but put it off because it will be depressing.

Gwynn White Yes, Katie. You have to read it side by side with something else uplifting that restores faith in human nature.

message 5: by Frankie (new)

Frankie Extremely stupid commentary. Hitler better than Stalin?
Stalin had some kind of integrety, believed in their 1939 pact, produced some children, made of Russia a superpower. Hitler left only ruins and left Germany in ruins.