Ashley's Reviews > Defiance

F 50x66
Apr 16, 2012

liked it
Read from June 26 to 27, 2016

Set into a dystopian future where giant beasts terrorize the world and people have retreated into the safety of walled cities lives 17 year old Rachel. Her father works as a courier and travels between the cities. When he doesn't return when he was supposed to she is made the ward of her father's apprentice, 19 year old Logan, whom 2 years before she'd declared her love to. And was rejected.

I like the world the book is set in. I think it's an interesting mix of high technology and pre-industrial revolution society. I think the idea of the plot is solid. Something is just lacking for me. Execution wise? I've thought about it and I think a big problem is that Rachel is a stereotype. Stunningly gorgeous and in order to be tough she is written as kinda a jerk. I like that Logan is tech minded, they just both follow their stereotypical roles. I don't know how Logan can continue to call Rachel smart when she makes one bad decision after another.

As far as the 'romance' goes. I thought it was rushed. Mercifully there was no love triangle, but I don't think Rachel and Logan needed to get to the point they're at so soon. Logan crushed Rachel's heart. It would have been nice if he'd had to explain why he did that even though we know he actually does have feelings for her. Let him twist in the wind a little. Let her come to the realization that there are more important things and make Logan convince her with more than his 'amazing kiss'. The acquaintance they make, Quinn, barely speaks and seems to understand and fit better with Rachel than Logan does.

The ending was written as if this was going to be a stand alone book. The last chapter seems to resolve almost all issues, so I'm not yearning for more. I don't like when teenagers are determined to be the very best candidate to rule a city, btw.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.