Anna's Herding Cats's Reviews > Crime Scene At Cardwell Ranch

Crime Scene At Cardwell Ranch by B.J. Daniels

Apr 16, 2012

bookshelves: bj-daniels, ranch, birthday, second-chance, police-fbi-rangers-law-enforcement, hospital, montana, small-town, 2012, need-review
Read in May, 2012

Originally posted at Herding Cats & Burning Soup

Might not be the catchiest title but it's a pretty good book! I picked up Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch not too long ago when I needed a book with a cowboy hat on the cover. I hadn't read Daniels before so didn't know what to expect and gotta say I was pleasantly surprised with what I found. The story was very light in the romance department and not steamy at all but the mystery and crime were very well done and kept me turning the pages. I enjoyed Daniels writing style which moved along nicely, easily held my interest, wasn't too fussy or difficult to follow. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more of her books.

Multiple murders over more than a decade, strange evidence found at the scene. Add in the weird affair between Dana's sister and Hud that broke them up years earlier, anonymous notes that brought Hud back into town, break ins, overall suspicious activity and attacks against Dana. There was just a lot going on with the case and I loved how it all intertwined.

Dana and Hud are both decent characters but I didn't feel too invested in them as individuals. I had nothing against them but found myself focusing more on the crime, instead of how things would turn out for them as a couple. I love a book that keeps me guessing and Daniels did a great job with that. There were so many possible suspects for all of the crimes that it wasn't until very close to the end that I finally decided who was behind everything.

I liked the ending and the way things played out. How things changed for some of the charactes/families after the murderer was revealed and the truth came out. I did wish there had been just one more scene at the end between the hero/heroine but it was still a nice ending that left the potential for a wonderful future for the couple.

Added little note:
Oooh! Looks like there's a sequel coming out later this year!! So gonna have to pick that one up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crime Scene At Cardwell Ranch.