Pat's Reviews > The Silent Patient

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

So that's what all the fuss was about! At least I'm not out on a limb all on my own with this one. I did actually really enjoy it. The author did an excellent job hooking the reader in right at the beginning. No synopsis from me, there are plenty of reviews that cover that better than I could.

It was one of the most addictive books I've read for a while. Naturally, and having the sneaky suspicious mind that I do, I thought things would not be as clear cut as at first they seemed. There had to be something fishy about Theo Faber - the psychotherapist who was so keen to "fix" the patient, Alicia Berenson. The fact that he made a potentially career-killing move to a facility threatened with closure and that he broke so many rules in his attempts to get through to Alicia put a great big question mark over him for me as a potentially unreliable narrator.

I did like Alicia. I thought she was very well written, Theo - not so much. I was never sure where his allegiances lay. Well, we found that out at the rather shocking, but not totally unexpected, ending. One of our former Prime Ministers had a saying I like - "in the race of life, always back self-interest. You can at least be sure its trying." That kind of sums up Dr. Theo. Mind you, as the book progressed most of the characters were found to have some unsavoury qualities which muddied the waters. On of the doctors kept his previous treatments of Alicia very quiet, one of the nurses was dealing drugs from the locked cabinet, and one of Alicia's friends coveted her art more than her friendship and so on.

All in all a great debut effort and I would happily pick up the next book by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent Patient.

March 26, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
March 26, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading
January 11, 2020 – Shelved
January 11, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill Fantastic review Pat! Glad you enjoyed it❤️

message 2: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill wrote: "Fantastic review Pat! Glad you enjoyed it❤️"

Thanks Kim x

Miriam Smith Nicely reviewed Pat, don’t think this book did it for me but glad you enjoyed!

Ceecee Great review Pat - I thought it was an addictive read too 😊

message 5: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat Miriam wrote: "Nicely reviewed Pat, don’t think this book did it for me but glad you enjoyed!"

Thanks Miriam, There are plenty of other books that I hope will 'do it for you' xx

message 6: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat Ceecee wrote: "Great review Pat - I thought it was an addictive read too 😊"

Thanks Ceecee

Jayme Glad you enjoyed this one too!

message 8: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat Jayme wrote: "Glad you enjoyed this one too!"

Thanks Jayme, its been one of the very popular books.

Andrea Nice review. 🌹 good book.

marilyn Great review...the ending snuck up on me...I usually figure things out better than I did this one. 💝

Holly  B Love your review and the book Pat!

message 12: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat Thanks Andrea

message 13: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat Thanks Marilyn, I thought something fishy was going on but couldn’t quite pick it.

message 14: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat Thanks Holly, yes, very good book.