Leah's Reviews > Baba Yaga Laid an Egg

Baba Yaga Laid an Egg by Dubravka Ugrešić

bookshelves: read-women-2020

"Our whole life is a search for love... Our search is frustrated by numerous snares that lie in wait for us on our journey. One of the most dangerous snares is time. We need only be one second late and we will have lost our chance of happiness."

A tedious read. Maybe a little too meta for its own good??

In my opinion, the journey would've been more enjoyable had the story been restructured as Aba's manuscript review (manuscript being Parts 1 and 2) with Aba's "Remarks" worked in throughout the "manuscript," with only numbered references to Aba's 'Baba Yaga For Beginners' aka a glossary of sorts or Notes at the end, rather than in or as part of the main story. As-is, Part 3, which runs from pages 235-327, well, Aba (who is really Ugresic after all) puts it best:

"I'm sure you won't mind admitting that there was too much of everything. In fact, you were afraid at one point that I would never stop. In some places you sighed with boredom... You were given an overdose, I know..."

The only thing I enjoyed about Part 3 was the section titled "And Here, My Friend, Comes The Story's End," in which we get a feminist rally cry.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baba Yaga Laid an Egg.

January 8, 2020 – Started Reading