Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > If Beale Street Could Talk

If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin

bookshelves: read2020, audiobook, author-list-2020

I listened to this audiobook for several reasons. Joshua Greer said Bahni Turpin is one of his favorite narrators, James Baldwin is on my list of authors to finally read in 2020, and Audible is giving subscribers $20 in Amazon credit for finishing three books by a date in March. (I hope books we already owned count- update, they do.)
What is really amazing is how a novel from 1974 is practically a readalike to An American Marriage by Tayari Jones, although the Jones has an extra twist. Suffice to say I believe if you liked one you would like the other, no matter which century you started in. A young black couple, an inequitable ruling, etc. The moments I liked best are when Baldwin writes Tish's father talking on the phone, a great capture of the era.

I feel like I need to read more Baldwin to get to his more autobiographical works but I did enjoy this short novel.

And later, I watched the movie version, which is pretty true to the original, but contains just a little bit too much open-faced mooning for my tastes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If Beale Street Could Talk.

January 11, 2020 – Started Reading
January 11, 2020 – Shelved
January 11, 2020 –
January 11, 2020 – Finished Reading
January 12, 2020 – Shelved as: read2020
January 12, 2020 – Shelved as: audiobook
January 12, 2020 – Shelved as: author-list-2020

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Danielle I also compared this to An American Marriage. I unknowingly read these two books within a few months of each other. I felt like it was telling the same story and An American Marriage picks up where this one left off.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Danielle wrote: "I also compared this to An American Marriage. I unknowingly read these two books within a few months of each other. I felt like it was telling the same story and An American Marriage picks up where..."
Interestingly the movie felt the need to wrap it up somewhat where the book leaves it open.