Alex Templeton's Reviews > Sex on Six Legs: Lessons on Life, Love, and Language from the Insect World

Sex on Six Legs by Marlene Zuk

Apr 16, 2012

liked it

I’ve mentioned to a couple of people that I read this book, and the general reaction seems to be, “you read a book about BUGS?” I guess I don’t look the type? But, in my mind, every type should be open to finding out just how wacky and wonderful nature is. Zuk is definitely the kind of science writer I’d want to know in person. It’s clear that she is totally in love with the nerdy work she does, and has a great sense of humor about it. (See also: Mary Roach.) This was therefore a great science read, even for the non-science person. I learned lots of neat things about bugs. Did you know, for instance, that certain bees will infiltrate other hives with their larvae so that the larvae can hatch and take over? That ants can “communicate” with each other about food sources through scent messages alone? I don’t know about you, but I find these things awesome. I might never be a biology teacher, but at least I’ll have some cool facts to share with my future humanities students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex on Six Legs.