Liralen's Reviews > Sleeping Beauty: Vampire Slayer

Sleeping Beauty by Maureen McGowan

Apr 16, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: z-2012, fiction, reviewed, fairytales-myths, ya

I read Cinderella: Ninja Warrior not too long ago -- I appreciate a good fairytale, especially one with a twist. Ninja Cinderella? Great. Sign me up. Vampire-slaying Sleeping Beauty? Even better. These are heroines who can fend for themselves, give as good as they get, and don't need a boy to save them.

That said...two books was enough for me. The premise is still fantastic, and the choose-your-own-adventure twist was, if not what I expected, at least interesting. But that format also constrains the book, giving it less space to tell the story, plant details, weave subplots.

This is a vampire slayer who, once her curse falls, never leaves the palace (or, in an alternate sequence, her grandfather's land). The king does nothing to protect his subjects; then again, there's almost no interference from other countries (the entire population is asleep and defenseless all night, every night, and no other country either comes to their aid or takes advantage of this?), so maybe it doesn't really matter what the king does.

But really, I just wish there had been some variation in the outcomes. Perhaps Sleeping Beauty could have ended up with a different character -- or, hey, alone -- in one of them. Maybe in one option she could do her country a solid and fight vampires somewhere other than the halls of the palace. Et cetera, et cetera. I love the concept, but the follow-through isn't as strong.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping Beauty.