Hillary Hunt's Reviews > Slumber

Slumber by Samantha Young

Apr 16, 2012

bookshelves: ya, fem-fantasy
Read from May 18 to 20, 2012

I thought this book was similar in style to "Graceling" and "Poison Study"; a romantic fantasy which is pretty much my favorite genre. Definitely the best of Samantha Young's work, of which I've read a fair amount.

Things to love: It has a strong female heroine.
The story starts out with an immediate emotional hook that will draw you in.
The male love interest has a believably conflicted relationship with the heroine.
Much of the conflict in the story arises from the protagonist herself as she struggles to come to terms with her fear and pride.

The author does a good job of setting up a pretty rich and detailed world; the diverse cities, the different titles and ranking of nobility, the gypsies, the rookery, the mountain people, and the different classes of magically gifted people. I found the world very well drawn.

The romance is quite yummy, but also bittersweet. Hardly young adult, as there is some mild sexy times. But more importantly, I found the premise of their relationship a compelling one, and it was fun to watch it develop.

Really some dark, disturbing scenes in this book. The author was pretty fearless in what she was willing to do to her characters, so I must give props for that.

The ending is satisfying, and I think I like where the author is going with the character of Haydyn. I think it would be awesome if Haydyn transitions to a darker character!

Complaints/Criticism: Sometimes the language the characters used felt too modern for this sort of old-world, fantasy setting.

Complaint #2: Rogan's shoddy reasoning often stretched beyond the point of believability and felt forced to ensure conflict. You would think if she really cared about saving her friend, she would put her pride second to getting the job done in a safe and efficient manner. Further to that point, her inner turmoil over Wolfe was getting silly towards the end. She likes him, but she can't be with him. She's with him, but it was a mistake. Okay, so it wasn't a mistake, but they can't really get married. On and on she thought like this. It felt a little forced just so we could watch Wolfe chase her a little bit more. Which, I'll admit, was enjoyable if a little contrived. I really would've liked to have seen Rogan have to do some groveling and chasing towards Wolfe because her actions were that selfish and stupid.

Complaint #3: the sub-plot involving the dude who tries to seduce Rogan into finding his lost love felt really random and pointless.

But overall, I really loved this book and am looking forward to the next. Really entertaining read. This is the kind of book for me that is a pleasure to curl up with on a Sunday afternoon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slumber.

05/20
50.0% "I'd say this book is similar to Poison Study and Graceling in style. I'm loving it."
06/22 marked as: read

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Sounds steamy!

Patricia Can't wait to read as poison study and graceling are some of my fav books!!