Igor Stojanov's Reviews > More Than Allegory: On Religious Myth, Truth and Belief

More Than Allegory by Bernardo Kastrup

Underneath all of our rational beliefs, there is always a belief that is irrational. Underneath all our myths of fables and religion, there is a truth that all myths point towards.

In the absence of past and future, we have do uncover the present. Only in the present, we can find the greatest gift. Only in the present, we can believe the myth and it can become the Truth.

I found the style, content, and context of this book very enjoyable to read.

Some excerpts I enjoyed:
-Meaning and emotion cannot be directly shared the way the images of consensus reality are.

-myth is a story that implies a certain way of interpreting consensus reality so to derive meaning and affective charge from its images and interactions. Without these myths, consensus images and their respective interactions would be just dancing pixels.

-Consensus reality is a realm of pure form. It triggers our myth-making capacity so to evoke thought and emotion within. Our role is to interpret the pure forms by projecting a myth onto consensus reality. The myth implies a way to translate pure form into meaning.

Underlying our contemporary attitude toward religious myths is the hidden but far-reaching assumption that all relevant truths about reality can be directly captured by the intellect in the form of language constructs. I

-Emotionally, we either believe a religious myth or we don’t. If we don’t, the myth loses the power to bring transcendence into daily life. I thus propose that, if a religious myth resonates deeply with your intuitions, you should emotionally—though not intellectually—take it onboard as if it were literally true.

suffering arises from the ego’s inability, yet compulsive need, to control the world

Consensus reality is trying to get our intellects to ask the right questions, so to poke the obfuscated mind into unveiling the deepest transcendent truths in the form of religious myths. As such, our myth-making capacity may be nature’s only chance to grok itself.

Past and future exist only as mental explanations and predictions, images in the mind projected backwards and forwards. But these projections are experienced in the present, for there is only ever the present. Our intellect mistakes particular qualities of certain present experiences for a past and a future.

Now, what you call space-time is simply a mental coordinate system that allows you to unfold or unpack overlapping mental contents.

The world around you is a book waiting to be deciphered. Figuring out how to do it—that is, finding a suitable hermeneutics of the universe—has been the quest of poets, artists, shamans, mystics and philosophers since time immemorial.

As a dream symbolically portrays the inner state of the dreamer, As a novel insinuates the inner life of the writer, As a lie betrays the insecurities of the liar, So the fiction you call reality reveals something about truth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More Than Allegory.

January 11, 2020 – Shelved