Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}'s Reviews > Allison Hewitt Is Trapped

Allison Hewitt Is Trapped by Madeleine Roux

On the scale between the excellent (The First Days) and the atrocious (Married With Zombies) zombie novels this sits somewhere in the middle.

Allison is working in a bookstore when zombies attack sending her and the rest of the staff behind the reinforced door to the backrooms. There they wait for rescue and struggle to subsist on what they have. Allison discovers a wireless internet network and searches for information and other survivors which escalates into blogging her experiences while others from around the world comment. The pace picks up when a zombie squirrel* enters the picture and shatters all illusions of their relatively safe existence thus far, and Allison continues to post as survival forces her to travel.

Personalities and physical descriptions are fully formed. Most of the characters are quite distinct apart from the Black Earth Wives, the remains of a religious community who evolve into faceless, cardboard-cutout zealots hellbent on stamping out the sinners and the damned (zombies) and re-populating Earth by means of kidnap and rape of surviving men and women, and those who refuse are either burned alive or sacrificed to the walking dead. Nice.

Roux/Allison shied away from giving details in certain areas. Apparently being able to clean your ears is more important than having tampons. Things like intimacy and sex are omitted or very briefly mentioned at the wrong moments. Allison's relationship with Collin is ambiguous for a while because not enough information is given. Are they together? Are they having sex? Do they even have condoms? We find out later there was a limited supply of condoms but at a point when this was no longer an issue for Allison.

There's a strong focus on relationships. Allison's need to reconnect with her mother -a cancer sufferer, the trials and tribulations of two marriages and an engaged couple, plus Allison's own romance issues, and the responsibility of caring for children. It get's pretty messy. I'm disappointed by the out the author gives for (view spoiler).

Allie makes some understandable mistakes, however, some of her decisions are either TSTL or extremely rash. In particular, her decision to sneak out and leave the group to go it alone, which under the circumstances I can understand why she would want to do this but it seemed an incredibly stupid thing to do and perhaps selfish for depriving a group she's come to know and care about of a valuable resource. Her sadistic revenge on the thief I tried to put down to adrenaline and stress but it's hard to forgive when she had the option to kill rather than torture and maim. Roux appears to realise she's turned the audience against her heroine and has Allie feel remorseful and shock at her own actions at a later date. After this her likability fell through the floor. And her crazy, outlandish heroics fell on deaf ears.

Far more detail is given at the beginning with a slower pace becoming increasingly rushed to a short, summarized ending. Frustrating and unsatisfying. I felt Julian was short-changed and deserved more page time to discover his motivation for leaving his only family and how he felt about it. I'm not even sure we get a proper physical description other than his injuries. (view spoiler) Mourning deaths is almost non-existent, once they're gone, they're gone although only unnecessary and useless characters die (view spoiler). Zombie cliche alert. "MY SON ATE MY BABY GIRL!" was as close as we got to heart-wrenching grief.

*Eating meat will have to be a thing of the past if animals can be zombified. Also, the human race may be f*cked. Maybe it only affects mammals though. That would explain why the fish and birds seemed unaffected. Then again, the squirrel is the only infected animal we come across. So, can animals be infected, or not?

Overall, it didn't really work for me.

2.5 stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allison Hewitt Is Trapped.

April 16, 2012 – Shelved
April 16, 2012 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 16, 2012 – Shelved as: 1st-in-series
April 16, 2012 – Shelved as: death-reapers-zombies
April 18, 2012 – Shelved as: bought-in-2012
April 22, 2012 – Started Reading
April 23, 2012 –
page 17
4.83% "The posthumous blog post diary format no longer appears to be in effect."
April 27, 2012 –
page 34
9.66% "'"All right, guys," I say, trying my best to keep a straight face. I'm constantly in danger of bursting into giggles. For one we're having a group heart-to-heart about farts, and also because we haven't slept in days. I'm a giddy, shadowy shell of a human being.'"
page 42
11.93% "'Good luck in the library. And what's this about no weapons? Get yourself a solid dictionary and throw that sucker like it's the motherfucking Olympics.'

Or a Robert Jordan hardback. Those things are anvils."
page 101
28.69% "Ack, zombie squirrels."
page 113
32.1% "Oh my god. That was sick. Kill him, don't bother maiming. I'm appalled. And she's supposed to be the good guy?"
page 129
36.65% "'I'm not a hero and it feels peculiar to be lauded for a swift and cruel act of revenge. [...] They thank me for getting rid of ____ and I bow my head shyly and try not to think of his agonized face and his raw, bloody stumps lying in the dead grass.'

At least she acknowledges the extremity of her actions."
page 132
37.5% ""MY SON ATE MY BABY GIRL!""
page 352
100.0% "Rating and review to come. Time for some much needed sleep."
April 28, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2012