Laura's Reviews > Besieged: Life Under Fire on a Sarajevo Street

bookshelves: audio-books, balkans, history, non-fiction, read-2012
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
Recommended for: Chrissie

From BBC Radio 4:
To mark the twentieth anniversary of the start of the siege of Sarajevo the award winning journalist Barbara Demick revisits her evocative eyewitness account of how the residents of one street in the city endured three and half years of living in a war zone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Besieged.

April 16, 2012 – Started Reading
April 16, 2012 – Shelved
April 17, 2012 –
0.0% "1/5. Bellicose rumbles are denied."
April 17, 2012 –
0.0% "2/5. A death in one of Logavina Street's families."
April 19, 2012 –
0.0% "3/5. Coming of age in a warzone."
April 19, 2012 –
0.0% "4/5. A ceasefire and new causes of anguish."
April 20, 2012 –
0.0% "5/5. Hostilities end and, 20 years on, a look at how life has changed on Logavina Street."
April 20, 2012 – Shelved as: audio-books
April 20, 2012 – Shelved as: balkans
April 20, 2012 – Shelved as: non-fiction
April 20, 2012 – Shelved as: history
April 20, 2012 – Shelved as: read-2012
April 20, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I will definitely listen to this. PLEASE read "Nothing to Envy". Check out "Logavina Street" too.

message 2: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Laura, i admit defeat! Why do I never find the GOOD BBC programs? Do you find them by listening to the radio a lot? What is your best source? I feel so terribly stupid....

Are all of BBC's productions abridged? Is this unabridged?

The first episode was fantastic. I prefer those readings without the extra sound effects, just the book being read. then the words take on the importance they should have. In my humble opinion....

Laura Chrissie, I have all programs as a bookmark and sometimes )most of the time) I search the programs by hand:

message 4: by Chrissie (last edited Apr 17, 2012 06:50AM) (new) - added it

Chrissie But this book by Demick is nowhere in the list on the link in your message 3! Is there no complete list anywhere?

Laura this book is available at Radio 4 and not at Radio 4 Extra Chrissie. Probably at Book at Bedtime or Book of the Week. The best way it's to use the search tool in the BBC Radio's links.

message 6: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie No wonder I miss stuff. Isn't it strange they do not have a place where you can see everything!

message 7: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette Jansen op de Haar If you're interested in this, and it's very moving, you may also want to check out King of Tuzla.