Stephanie's Reviews > Bringing Down the Duke

Bringing Down the Duke by Evie Dunmore

bookshelves: 2019, adult-fiction, historical, romance, aty-2020

Set during Victorian England, Bringing Down the Duke is the story of Annabella as she enters Oxford College as one of the first women accepted. The catch, she has to accept an internship with a women's suffrage group in order for her tuition to be paid. Through this, she must approach men who have influence over their peers to support the women's suffrage movement. Enter Sebastian, the Duke of Montgomery. Sebastian has been bringing back his family from near ruin since his father's death and he is the epitome of a scandal free peer (if one turns a blind eye to his divorce). While the two of them do battle over the right to vote, they are also confronted with the attraction they feel for each other. Annabelle won't fall for another handsome aristocrat and Sebastian cannot give up his reputation by causing another scandal.

A fan of historical romances, this had me smiling and chuckling a good number of times. I appreciated Annabelle's frankiness and her determination to do better with her life. I liked Sebastian though I am not sure if I quite believe he was ready for the big grand gesture. Overall, the pacing was a bit off towards the end, but I enjoyed this debut novel nonetheless. I look forward to continuing with the second in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Down the Duke.

January 10, 2020 – Started Reading