Lauren's Reviews > The Epic Crush of Genie Lo

The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F.C. Yee

(I was fortunate enough to receive a copy from Abrams Books, in exchange for an honest review.)

F.C. Yee's "The Epic Crush of Genie Lo" is filled with rollicking action and adventure, by way of Chinese mythology and struggles of the contemporary Asian American teenager, in a pretty accurate representation of the San Francisco Bay Area. Right from page one, you're immediately drawn into this world of constant motion, twists, and turns, and even on the last page, one knows that things are just getting started. It's literary entertainment at its finest!

There is so much constantly in motion, but I also felt that the relationships between Genie and her friends and family could have been developed a little bit more. While we get some perspective via narration from Genie herself, I would have liked for the dynamics to flesh out a little bit more on the page. In other words, more show, less tell.

Otherwise, it's an enjoyable debut from Yee. I look to seeing what happens next in the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Epic Crush of Genie Lo.

January 10, 2020 – Started Reading