Eon Beaumont's Reviews > Mage of Silence

Mage of Silence by Edward Kendrick

Apr 16, 2012

liked it
Read from April 16 to May 18, 2012

This was a solidly entertaining read. There were a few spots where I would guess the author has an interest in RPGs (that's role-playing games) as once or twice the characters "took damage" rather than being injured. There were a few other terms and concepts similar to those one finds in the context of RPGs. In fact the whole story read similarly to a Fantasy RPG. That's not a dig. I really love Fantasy RPGs.

There was some potential missed. The main character has a severe weakness that could have created some fantastic conflict but really only served as a minor inconvenience begging the question, Why bother with it in the first place? The characters themselves were a tad one-dimensional and while I liked them- I didn't love them. Anyone who has read any of my other reviews, that's kind of a big deal for me. I didn't hate any of them either, not even the bad guys. We never get to find out how the boys get home other than a mention of dolphins! Big selling point for me: CROSSDRESSING! Loved it! Every story, TV show, movie would benefit with a little bit of the boys dressin up as girls. (Brits have known it forever).

Based on this book I'd definitely check out this author's other books. As an aside (and nothing against the author) the main character's name was Castien and I couldn't help (each and every time I read it) thinking of Castiel, the angel character on Supernatural. Again that's not the author's fault but the fault of my silly fan-boy mind.

I would definitely recommend this book to Fantasy genre fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mage of Silence.