Robin Hobb's Reviews > The Black Hawks

The Black Hawks by David  Wragg

Ah yes! The usual caveat applies. While I do not know David Wragg, I did receive an advance reading copy of this book for free. I do not think that affects my review of it.

This is a solid adventure story, well told.

So, let's get right to why this is a four star rather than a five star. I read this with no clue that it's not a complete story. I got right to the last few pages, wondering what brilliant tactic would bring our heroes out of danger and . . .

Cliff hanger.

I don't mind a good cliff hanger, but you have to let me know it's coming.

But now let's go to why I really enjoyed this story. Nice setting, good solid characters. Nasty villains of several different stripes. Can I mention that the mercenaries in the story are, yes, believably mercenary? And that the newcomer to their group is believably appalled at some of what they do? Several other clichés that I spotted a mile away, uh, just didn't happen. Very good! The hero had an unusual and very believable motive for what he was doing, too.

I hate spoilers, so, other than warning you of the precipice at the end of this volume, I won't go into much more detail! I'm looking forward to seeing the next piece of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Hawks.

Finished Reading
January 9, 2020 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Leonie (new) - added it

Leonie B Thanks Robin! Love to try out books you've rated - really means something for you to give 4 stars.