Robin Hobb's Reviews > A Wizard of Earthsea

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

Do you ever re-read books that your long ago self loved? Do they stand up to time?

This one definitely does. I know it doesn't need another five star review from anyone, but if you are looking for a book to introduce a youngster to fantast, this is an excellent one. It has stood the test of time very well. The language is lovely, the challenges our young magic user must meet are solid ones, and while it hints of more adventures to come, it stands very well on its own.

Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wizard of Earthsea.

Finished Reading
January 9, 2020 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia Griebel Dear Robin, how old do you think a young reader can be to enjoy this book? I know that my children are way too young for such literature, but I am already looking forward to introducing them to fantasy!

Paul Chafer I thought these books were ‘of their time’, but, wonderful to say, have managed to escape through to this century and remain relevant. Awesome writing.

message 3: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael I agree. Many of the books I first read as a teen just are not the same when I re-read them decades later. This one (and the sequels) do stand the test of time!

message 4: by Aimée (new)

Aimée Love rereading old favourites. Robert Jordan’s, Wheel of Time will forever be a series that I would happily read over and over.

The world building and depth of thought out into it is epic. A series I have enjoyed for more than 20 years.

message 5: by Aimée (new)

Aimée Put*

message 6: by Anne (new) - added it

Anne Wise I remember loving this book, but I remember very little about it. I plan to reread it soon.