Jim's Reviews > In My Time: A Personal and Political Memoir

In My Time by Dick Cheney

Apr 16, 2012

bookshelves: from-the-library, history, non-fiction
Read from April 16 to May 21, 2012

There has not been a Vice President who contributed more to the success of his administration than Dick Cheney. Even before the election in 2000, he was instrumental in finding the most qualified VP available, himself, something few administrations have done, and none to greater effect. Although constitutionally, the VP doesn't wield much power, Cheney's experience in foreign policy, defense policy, and every other aspect of running the executive branch were continuously tapped by George W. Bush.

Dick is a witty, straight shooting politician, who is able to get his point across eloquently and effectively. He speaks quietly, but will not back down from his position, and is actually capable of making his points with such force as to get people to change their minds. The book illustrates several occasions where his advice kept the administration from embarrassing or damaging missteps.

A great line in the book eviscerates Obama without even mentioning his name. He gives credit where credit is due, "I was gratified that after years of diligent and dedicated work, our nations intelligence community and our special operations forces were able on May 1, 2011, to find and kill Bin Laden."

There were few surprises, having followed politics fairly closely at the time. He enumerates the ways that the Iraq war helped slow other terrorist states and regimes like Libya and Pakistan. One area where George W. Bush and his administration really dropped the ball was in North Korea. I didn't realize how ineffective and counter productive Condi Rice was in the State Department. Dick Cheney explains in detail how North Korea played her for a fool.

I enjoyed this book, it was a good read. I believe more thought should be given to the VP beyond how many votes he or she might bring to the party. Dick Cheney is a proven leader and patriot and is the best VP America has seen in an age.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In My Time.

04/16/2012 page 52