Brian Clegg's Reviews > Police at the Funeral

Police at the Funeral by Margery Allingham

Apr 16, 2012

it was ok
Read in April, 2012

I am a big fan of Allingham's Campion books, particularly the early ones, so I was delighted when Goodreads alerted me to one I'd missed over the years, particularly one set in Cambridge, a city I'm very fond of. But it was a significant disappointment.

Cambridge is wasted as a locale - it could have been set anywhere. But the problem I have with the book is that it has none of the charm of the other early Campions. It's partly because the way the mystery unfolds lacks something - but it's mostly because all the aspects of the period that we find uncomfortable today - snobbish, obsession with class, racism - are at the heart of the story. Most of the characters I think we are supposed to like, if only despite themselves are horrendous. And for some reason Campion lacks his usual sparkle and entertaining inanity, cowed it seems by admiration for these horrendous people.

If you are a Campion fan and haven't come across it, you will want to read it to add it to the list. But if you aren't familiar with these books, avoid this one like the plague.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Police at the Funeral.

Tina I agree with your assessment. Story lacks something. Had to slough thru it.

message 2: by Mrs (new)

Mrs B Good lord: this is possibly her most famous book and is the only one that provides a solution Agatha Christie never used (or thought of)!