Heidi's Reviews > The FitzOsbornes in Exile

The FitzOsbornes in Exile by Michelle   Cooper

I'm a book behind with this series. My twitter feed has been full of people reviewing the third book (and loving it) so I know that I've got something good still to come.

I adored the first book (although my Goodreads review might not seem like it, I did give it five stars), and I equally adored the second book. I also got a laugh out of the fact that while reading it, I was wondering whether Cooper had used particular sources, and when I got to the end, yes, she had. :-) There is so much to love in this book: Henry, who is just plain awesome, Simon the mostly stalwart, Veronica the Magnificent, especially when speaking to the Foreign Secretary's Office, and later in her final big scene... I can't wait to see how Colonel Stanley-Ross' character develops in the next book, and I have to admit that if he wasn't already married and ridiculously too old for Sophie, I'd be shipping the two of them right now.

Which brings me to Sophie. The wonderful, strategic, clever, and far too good for the fluffiness of débutante society Sophie. The line I quoted in a status update about feeling like a one-person League of Nations is marvellous, and I can just imagine her, in Geneva, meeting Edith Campbell Berry and the two of them getting along like a house on fire.

I hope I find a reasonably priced copy of FitzOsbournes at War sooner rather than later, because it's a while until the British edition is released, and I don't like the cover of that one nearly as much as the Australian version.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The FitzOsbornes in Exile.

April 16, 2012 – Started Reading
April 21, 2012 –
page 13
April 23, 2012 –
page 116
25.72% "It's become unputdownable. But I really must get back to work."
May 3, 2012 –
page 178
May 3, 2012 –
page 205
page 257
page 294
65.19% ""I sometimes feel like a one-person League of Nations, trying to mediate between all the feuding members of this family." Oh, how I do adore Sophie!"
page 379
84.04% "War is edging ever closer, and I keep reading even though I ought to be doing housework."
May 5, 2012 – Shelved as: 50books-poc-2012