Jena Henry's Reviews > A Crown in Time

A Crown in Time by Jennifer Macaire

Some of my best reading travels this year were with author Jennifer Macaire and Alexander the Great. Her time travel six book series of life with Alexander the Great gave me adventure, romance, history and immense pleasure.

With that enthralling saga complete, I was delighted to be given the opportunity to read a new book from Ms. Macaire. Fortunately, my time travel passport is still valid, so I was soon off on my journey to France, circa the end of the 1200’s A.D. A Crown in Time is just as satisfying a read as the earlier series.

I will be telling all the reasons that I am drawn to Ms. Macaire’s books, but the first is that she makes the time travel procedure simple and easily explained and then dives straight into the story. This book is similar to the first series, in that Tempus University (circa 2900 A.D.) again needs to send someone to the past.

This time the heroine is a dubious candidate, who is known as Isobel when she arrives from the future in France, plopped down in a mud puddle in the French countryside. Her mission from Tempus University is to correct a small mistake in time. Specifically, she must save the future crown of France by convincing a young man, Jean, to not join the Eighth Crusade. But, first, she must find him.

The next reason I can’t wait to read Ms. Macaire’s books is because she presents the sights, sounds, smells (plenty of them in the Middle Ages) of everyday life in vivid fashion. She also brings the history alive. We eat grass and onion soup and frogs, we help search for mushrooms, we wash clothes, we trudge with the crowds on the road to Tunis, and we get a front row seat at the battles the Eighth Crusade faced.

The best reason to read this book is because of the characters, which are so real, you will think you really have traveled back in time. As I said, Isobel is a dubious protagonist because she while has no particular skills, she does have the ability to care about people and she does care about her completing her mission successfully. She is helped by a 10-year-old boy, Charles, who is wise for his years. And she meets many interesting men and women, some are “real” historically, and she faces many challenges and adventures as she seeks to fix history.

At one point in the story, Isobel ponders how memories and dreams can be so real. If they seem real, perhaps time travel is, too. Enjoy the journey to France in the Middle Ages!

Thanks to Rachels Random Resources for a review copy. This is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Crown in Time.

Finished Reading