M.H. Thaung's Reviews > Oh, No, Octavius!

Oh, No, Octavius! by Michael   Gallagher

This is the fourth book in the Send for Octavius Guy series. I haven't read the previous books, but that wasn't a problem at all.

A group of Highbury residents ask Octavius and his buddy George to investigate their minister Reverend Burr. With luck, they'll find evidence about him that can be used to remove the unpleasant man from his office. Octavius takes on the role of day boy at the school where Burr teaches while George moves into the household staff. Not long into their job, Burr is murdered, and the investigation becomes more serious.

I found the first half readable but quite slow, as Octavius settles into his role as a pupil. I kept expecting him to come a cropper with his feigned education, but he never did. In fact, I don't remember him making mistakes or putting his foot in it (he feels a bit too good to be true), although it was amusing seeing his discomfiture in his interactions with George's family. The pacing speeded up with the arrival of Sergeant Gray and the start of the murder investigation. The clues came along at a decent pace, and everything came together nicely at the end.

In summary, a nicely constructed historical murder mystery.

I thank the author for a free copy of the book. This is my unbiased review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oh, No, Octavius!.

Started Reading