Meg Dendler's Reviews > With the Fire on High

With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo

liked it

This was a sweet book, but it left me a bit flat. Nothing big really happens, problems are easily solved, and all the big UMPH things I expected to happen just didn’t. I’m not saying it’s a book to avoid or anything, but knowing I was picking it up because it was a finalist in an award competition, I expected more. More drama. More peril. Just more. And I was distracted by the meals Emoni creates at home with spices and fresh produce when they are apparently broke and living on the edge of not paying bills every month. Maybe teens don’t understand what groceries cost, but I do.

The writing was good overall, but the two page chapters were annoying, even breaking right in the middle of a scene for some reason. Does Acevedo think teens can’t handle chapters? I don’t know.
If you have a love of cooking, this is certainly a book for you. If you are a teen mom, I’d suggest that this story presents a smooth wash over the problems you are going to face.

*I reviewed this book as a second round judge of the Cybils Book Awards, but I checked my copy out of the local library (did not receive a free copy from the publisher) and am under no obligation to post a positive review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With the Fire on High.

January 9, 2020 – Started Reading