Ari's Reviews > The Unspoken Name

The Unspoken Name by A.K. Larkwood

liked it
bookshelves: 2020-reads, netgalley-arc

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Thank you NetGalley and Tor Books for this ARC. All thoughts and opinions are mine.

What a fascinating premise to this new fantasy novel. How can anyone who's a fan of the genre resist? Unfortunately, the reality fell short of the premise, which is always a disappointment.

The first part of the book dragged more than it needed to, and then I noticed a pattern throughout the rest of it until I arrived at the fourth and final section of The Unspoken Name. Chapters in novels, usually, end at a specific moment in the storytelling process. There's a sixth sense in the reader that instinctively knows when a break will come and another chapter will start up because that hitch naturally comes to pass. But this novel lacked that, which resulted in chapters going on and on for such long periods of time that it felt as if it were taking me longer than usual to read. And this structural discrepancy distracted me so much from enjoying the whole piece that at times I thought of setting it aside.

The Traitor's Grave, the fourth part of the novel, was excellent. Whatever action lacked throughout the first part of The Unspoken Name was packed into this section. The last five chapters, especially, were delicious to read. There was murder, torture, a fast-paced and heroic liberation of a kidnapped character... It was fantastic, and exciting, and made me wonder why the first part of this story was not like that... Until I recalled the very special and important chapter structure's fissure.

I had a difficult time grasping the full personality of the lead, which was odd, because almost every other character made it really easy for me to see who they were—with the exception of Sethennai, and that's a valid point given who his character really is and what it hide. But Csorwe went through the novel almost listlessly. She would rise to the occasion whenever physical action called for it, but otherwise she seemed content to just go along with the flow. We're told again and again that she's the right hand of Sethennai, she's this tough and dangerous sword-woman, but I never saw that. The only time that I saw her lift her hand with a blade was either in self defense, or in an attempt to help others around her. Whatever reputation was attached to her never came to pass because by the time that she had gained it, the story had fast-forwarded and we never got to see it, which made it impossible to believe.

Others, like Shuthmili, herself, were thankfully a breath of fresh air. She came out of her cocoon little by little, and beautifully at that. She was enjoyable to see evolve, give in to her sense of humor, give into the madness and danger that lives inside of her. Her, Oranna and Tal—who is unapologetically himself, with every tarnish that his personality holds—were the trio that saved this story and made me want to continue reading.

The world is fantastic to see described, the magic system is very interesting—and I always enjoy it when magic is directly derived from the gods in a novel's pantheon—as are the few character races that we meet. Especially Atharaisse, of Echentyr.

There was beauty to The Unspoken Name, and growth that still has time to occur. The first in a series is not always fully realized, so I have high hopes should the second novel be released in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unspoken Name.

January 8, 2020 – Shelved
January 9, 2020 – Started Reading
January 9, 2020 –
January 10, 2020 –
January 11, 2020 –
January 12, 2020 –
60.0% "description

I feel like I've been reading this book for a monthitisdragging sooooooooooooooo much! Which is odd, because once I zone into it, it's not bad. I am so confused and frustrated :\"
January 13, 2020 –
January 14, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020-reads
January 14, 2020 – Finished Reading
January 19, 2020 – Shelved as: netgalley-arc

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Inkslinger (new)

Inkslinger Excellent review!

message 2: by Ari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ari Inkslinger wrote: "Excellent review!"

Thank you so much!

message 3: by Inkslinger (new)

Inkslinger <3 So welcome!

message 4: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura P. You just described the problem I'm having with the chapters...👀

message 5: by Ari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ari Laura wrote: "You just described the problem I'm having with the chapters...👀"

It's rather noticeable lol I hope you pull through it though! :D

message 6: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura P. @Ari : I'm trying to push through 😂

message 7: by Ari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ari Laura wrote: "@Ari : I'm trying to push through 😂"

I have faith in you! lol

message 8: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura P. @Ari Lol, thank you!!