Nora Weston's Reviews > Charade

Charade by Cambria Hebert

Apr 15, 2012

Read from May 09 to 22, 2012

Would you risk everything, even your life if need be—to save the one you love?

For Sam and Heven, the main characters in Cambria Hebert’s thrilling Heven and Hell series, life means nothing if they can’t spend it together. In “Masquerade,” the stage is set for these two characters to plunge into danger and despair so they can eventually find happiness together, and then things escalate as good and evil vie for their souls in Hebert’s latest release, “Charade.” Sam’s younger brother, Logan, adds quite a bit of drama to the “Charade” storyline, but Kimber, Cole, and Gemma certainly have their fair share of new developments as well.

Twists and turns, betrayals that have a most wicked bite, plus angels offering heavenly intervention and demons…naturally raising a little hell, all make this novel hard to resist and easy to enjoy. Although, “Charade” is not just about the battle between good and evil since it hits upon other facets of being human that, at times, affect us all. For instance, Heven matures in this follow-up to “Masquerade” as she comes to accept her unique abilities and use them to fight against what’s been unleashed from Hell. I was pleased to see her growth and loved that Heven could take care of herself, but Hebert made sure to keep Heven a compassionate character, one who thinks about others. This book targets YA readers, so if they can relate to Heven (Sam and Cole) who are all young but trying to make a positive difference in the world, then all the better!

Another huge part of this book follows the heavy emotions Heven and Sam must deal with as they constantly become positioned between right and wrong, between letting truth shine or allowing lies to temporarily cover their tracks. The choices we make, good and bad, affect the people in our lives, and the way Hebert showcases this is fantastic. Her characters pay a price for the choices they make, and some of these consequences come handed to them with a supernatural fist, yet again…lessons are gained by the characters and readers.

You’ll have to read “Charade” to meet my favorite new addition to Hebert’s Heven and Hell series, and that would be the Supernal Beings. Believe me—they are as cool as they sound! I’ve known a few people like them, and they are mysterious and seem as though they’ve been sent from above. If fallen angels, young adults with supernatural abilities, the age-old battle between good and evil, plus a marvelous amount of mystery wrapped up in a fantasy novel, sounds good to you, then do check out this wonderful series. I can hardly wait for the next book!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charade.