Kim's Reviews > Such a Fun Age

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid

bookshelves: favorite-novels-set-in-philadelphia, my-2020-goodreads-reading-challenge, 2020-reads

It's not often that I get to read a novel set in my hometown of Philadelphia, so I was pretty excited to read Kiley Reid's Such a Fun Age.

So what's the premise? Emira is a young African-American woman who, at the age of 25, doesn't really know what she wants to do with her life. She's graduated from Temple University with a so-so GPA, and she's babysitting for the Chamberlains, who've recently moved to downtown Philadelphia from New York. All of her friends are getting "real" jobs or have them already and Emira is feeling like a failure compared to them. Alix Chamberlain, her boss, is a successful blogger/influencer with a publishing deal, a husband who's a news anchor on a local TV channel, and two picture-perfect daughters--even if Briar, the oldest, tries her nerves. Two unexpected events lead to both women examining their identities, race, friendship, love, and trust.

As much as I enjoyed reading the story, I felt like the alternating points of view were a bit unbalanced. I wanted more of Emira's side of the story. Too often, it felt like Alix's actions and worries were more in focus. Emira sometimes felt like an enigma whereas Alix was an open book.

Still, I really enjoyed reading Such a Fun Age and I am looking forward to reading Kiley Reid's next novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Fun Age.

January 8, 2020 – Started Reading