Scribblegirl's Reviews > The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Apr 15, 2012

bookshelves: chicklit, fiction, girl-power, good-reads-for-teens, solid-reads, teen-reads, favorites
Read from April 15 to 17, 2012

An excellent book and the best I've read in probably the last year. Lockhart has chosen to deal with the repercussions of choices, the struggle to define oneself (rather than allowing others to do so for you), and expectations of gender - specifically, the roles of females in a patriarchal society and how those roles are perpetuated with the willing participation of girls/women. I identify pretty heavily with Frankie, since I too wanted to be seen for who and what I was and could be, and also like Frankie, I rejected and rebelled against preset rules of what was acceptable girl behaviour pretty heavily from my teens through my 20s, and they still chaff. I think young women who notice and reject the things Frankie does will like this book a lot. I think girls who don't notice them (or who accept them and play within those rules) will not like it at all; if your identity or self-esteem is dependent upon your relationship to any degree, a rejection of that basis for self-identification is going to seem foreign or uncomfortable. And probably more than a little irritating. Frankie isn't really a character for girls who never question the status quo, but she rocks it hard for those who reject unquestioning adherence to traditional roles/expectations. Mad props to E. Lockhart for crafting a role model for young women who insist on thinking for themselves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks.