JG's Reviews > We Are Us

We Are Us by Tara  Leigh

liked it
bookshelves: abuse, second-chance-romance, romantic-suspense, arc, new-adult, young-adult, college

This was another extremely well-written story by Tara Leigh and you could really feel the author’s blood, sweat and tears, from start to finish.

From the first page, I cherished the story of young Poppy and Gavin. The bond they formed through their hardships was incredibly sweet and when that friendship turned to love, their connection felt complete. That is until it was time for them to go to college.

Told in three parts, this story covers Poppy’s childhood, college years and early adult years. The problem with telling books over a number of years is that the storylines tend to jump around a bit, well, it’s either that or the story resembles War and Peace! Whilst the first part of this story was to die for, I loved young Gavin and Poppy, the later stages felt a little sour for my taste, probably due to the unpleasant sequence of events which plays out.

This was romantic suspense which covered a number of sensitive topics and readers will no doubt feel every moment of Poppy’s pain as she grows up. I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with Poppy though but could appreciate her need to better herself after growing up with nothing. I struggled with how she accepted Tucker back into her life after what happened between them and feeling that she had never really recovered from “that night”, she still allowed him to play a huge part in her early adult years just so she didn't have to do without ever again.

For me, the epilogue seemed a little strange, and whilst I can see the author trying to wrap up Poppy and Gavin’s story, and to give readers more of the sweet that I loved during their younger years, I ended up skimming over most of the ending but, hey, who doesn’t love a second-chance romance!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Are Us.

January 8, 2020 – Shelved