Tina's Reviews > By a Thread

By a Thread by Jennifer Estep

Apr 15, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: kindle, urban-fantasy

I'm giving her a 3 on this one due to lack of creativity across books and the whole Donovan thing in this book! I really enjoyed the first books but gradually found them to be repetitive. It's hard to continue to care for the caracters when they're less and less a focus and they don't mature and provide more substance. In this book, the leap of logic that I have real trouble making (and I felt this in the last one too) is an assassin who only seems to use knives. She has all these great tools (weapons, elemental powers, et al) to allow her to tackle dangerous people from afar and yet she chooses to work up close. It completely bugged me that the awesome snipers in the last book didn't just take out Mab! Seems to me one deserves to get beat up with that approach to assassination!

Repetitious as a result of lack of creativity (and excessive review of prior books). Not sure I'll be continuing with the series. I wish this ended up more like Kim Harrison's The Hollows series, Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series, Darynda Jones' Charley Davidson series or Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires series. I wait for these with baited breath and can't generally put 'em down! Not so with this series... *sigh*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By a Thread.