Tami's Reviews > Your Emotional Type: Key to the Therapies That Will Work for You

Your Emotional Type by Michael A. Jawer

We know that stress plays a significant role in a wide variety of diseases and conditions. Can the way we typically process our feelings be used to determine which ailments we might be more prone to get? Moreover, if this were possible, could therapies be tailored to suit these emotional types to promote better overall health and quality of life?

Your Emotional Type looks at twelve common chronic illnesses including depression, hypertension, migraine headache, ulcer, and fibromyalgia. In each case, stress is known to be a factor. However, looking more closely as these conditions, we see two emotional polar opposites. In some cases, there is an increased sensitivity which results in an individual whose emotions seem very near the surface. At the other end of the spectrum are people who are stoic with their emotions buried more deeply. Interestingly, those with their feelings at the surface (thin boundary) and those who are stoic (thick boundary) tend towards completely different ailments.

Perhaps for me, the most interesting aspect of this book, was the discussion about how these emotional types are a part of our inherent personality. Yet, sometimes individuals will adopt coping strategies that negate that emotional type. Such is the case with fibromyalgia where naturally thin boundary people become adept at denying burying and denying their feelings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Emotional Type.

Finished Reading