Ben Zornes's Reviews > The Gluten Lie: And Other Myths About What You Eat

The Gluten Lie by Alan Levinovitz

bookshelves: odds-ends, worldview, culture

My record on food fussiness is well established. In short, I think we should eat just about everything with gratitude––even processed foods. Those who invoke the verse about our bodies being the temple of the Holy Ghost to justify their food anxieties and fears need the gentle correction of a holy raspberry.

Yes, now I remember, this is a book review. The Gluten Lie traces how food myths gain credence and become gospel, despite scientific evidence to the contrary. For instance, in the 80s we were told, "Fat is bad." Then come to find out, it was the scientific studies funded by the margarine companies that were actually bad. Levinovitz has done a lot of deep diving on the complicated relationships between food, science, politics, dietitians, and how the general public is often having its chain yanked by the representatives of these various

Perhaps his most helpful insight is how so many dietary gurus turn food and the enjoyment thereof into a sort of religious system. Priests declare foods clean or unclean, and if you eat "bad" food you must repent by purging out the unwholesome. For a faithful Protestant, we should have no qualms about saying, "The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof, so pass the gravy." Instead, many Christians have gone along with the crunchy trends, thinking that they are pursing sanctification, wen in fact they are following an alternative religion.

A really helpful book on how to think about food, and about the many food myths that snake oil salesmen are peddling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gluten Lie.

January 7, 2020 – Started Reading