Jessica's Reviews > If You Were Here

If You Were Here by Jen Lancaster

Apr 15, 2012

did not like it

Do not read this book if you haven't ever purchased a house or watched a whole lot of HGTV. The real-estate lingo got old REAL fast, and this is coming from someone who HAS recently bought a house.

Also, don't read this book if you'll be distracted by the fact that it's supposed to be a "novel." Maybe some of the plot is fictionalized, but the main characters of "Mia" and "Mac" are very thinly disguised versions of "Jen" and "Fletch". Even the poor suckers who are friends with these "characters" seem just like the real friends Jen mentions in her other books, which are memoirs. And if the conversations Mia has with her girlfriends (not to mention the conversations Jen has with hers) are real, then she is the most self-absorbed human on the planet. Sorry but novels usually have the pretense of subplots and two-sided conversations.

Finally, don't realize this book if you easily get disgusted with rich people wasting their money on things they don't need. I'm sorry, I like "Gossip Girl" and "The Devil Wears Prada" and plenty of books where people spend ridiculous amounts of money in order to fund extravagant lifestyles. So I'm really not sure why reading about how "Mac and Mia" search for the perfect suburban 5-bedroom, 8-bathroom home with a pond and a pool pissed me off so much. Maybe because I knew they were based on Jen and Fletch so it seemed too real? It was just too much. I wanted to slap them.

I guess the fact that Jen Lancaster isn't very good at description didn't really annoy me in her memoirs, but it did here. Describing someone by cramming something like "her cerulean blue eyes" into a sentence just wasn't satisfying.

Oh, and the footnotes! I get sick to death of these in Jen's memoirs, but when have you ever seen silly-joke footnotes in a novel? No thank you!

I made it 56 pages in before I gave up and returned this to the library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Were Here.

Finished Reading
April 15, 2012 – Shelved

Laura I felt like this was a memoir disguised as a novel in order to humble-brag about the author's success. It was also super boring. I've read all her other books and thought they were funny. Not this one!