Misty's Reviews > The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Apr 15, 2012

bookshelves: own, contemporary, juvenile-ya, read-in-2012, review-copy-accepted

This book took me by surprise. I went into it expecting to like it - it was one of the very few contemporary novels of last year that I actually actively wanted, the reviews were just that good. But even though I expected to enjoy it and get something out of it, I didn't expect for it to keep me up all night. I didn't expect for it to be the type of book that I wanted to just flip back to the beginning and start again once I'd finished. I didn't expect it to make me uncomfortable and empathetic, and cringey and butterfly-stomached.
BUT IT DID.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The DUFF.

Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
April 15, 2012 – Shelved
April 15, 2012 – Shelved as: own
April 15, 2012 – Shelved as: contemporary
May 18, 2012 – Shelved as: juvenile-ya
May 24, 2012 – Started Reading
May 26, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2012
May 26, 2012 – Finished Reading
October 14, 2012 – Shelved as: review-copy-accepted
April 12, 2013 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
April 12, 2013 –
0.0% "Feeling like a quick reread."
April 14, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-2013 (Hardcover Edition)
April 14, 2013 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
April 14, 2013 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)

Delaney I was also pleasantly suprised.by this book. Love it to bits!!

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz I'm really glad to hear that you liked this one. I was a huge fan. I can't wait to read your official review!

message 3: by Jezebel (new)

Jezebel Can't wait to read!

Misty Hope you like it!

Alli I picked up this book based on your 5 star rating before you even posted a review. (I really trust your opinions on books) & I read it straight after I bought it and completely loved it. Now that your review is up, I agree with everything you said. Whole heartedly. I would've never picked up this book of it wasn't for you. So thank you for that! :)

Misty Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it (and that my rating didn't let you down). =)

message 7: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane Fabulous review! I love books that make me feel deeply. I think bitter bitches have a reason for acting the way they do, and it sounds gratifying to witness the character growth as they work through that.

Misty Absolutely, Jennifer. And Bianca definitely has her reasons for being the way she is.

message 9: by MizzSandie (new) - added it

MizzSandie Loved your review! Mission accomplished: you've convinced me to pick it up! :)

Misty MizzSandie wrote: "Loved your review! Mission accomplished: you've convinced me to pick it up! :)"

=D You'll have to let me know what you think of it!

message 11: by MizzSandie (new) - added it

MizzSandie Misty wrote: "MizzSandie wrote: "Loved your review! Mission accomplished: you've convinced me to pick it up! :)"

=D You'll have to let me know what you think of it!"

I only hope I have will have the same reading experience that you had :) it sounds like it got a lot of what I am a looking for in a book, just hope it meets my expectations now :) will get back to you, when I''ve gotten around to this one :)