Justin Tate's Reviews > The Silent Patient

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

A lot to love about this tightly-woven, twist-filled, expertly-structured psychological suspense. It comes in strong and plays all the hits: mysterious clues in paintings, creepy settings, diary entries, suspicious characters, and plenty of jaw-dropping surprises. If you're looking for a mystery that checks all the boxes, here it is. The only thing that's missing is a blackout drunk female narrator--but don't worry, there's a heavily-medicated, silent female to fill that void.

Some of the sweeping praise might be excessive. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's brilliant and the plot generally walks along well-trodden ground. That said, I do think the structure is masterfully crafted and goes above and beyond what mystery readers have come to expect. Pacing and sense of time could not have been done better, and I particularly appreciate that it doesn't drag. Most mysteries, I feel, are twice the length with half the intrigue.

Michaelides said in an interview that his goal was to write a suspenseful beach read, a la Agatha Christie. With that goal in mind, I would say The Silent Patient is a tremendous success.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent Patient.

January 6, 2020 – Started Reading
January 6, 2020 – Shelved
January 13, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Mary Very well said,Justin. I agree.

message 2: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Grice Excellent review, Justin!

Nancy Most of these type of books have a female POV, so a male POV was refreshing to read.

message 4: by Lyn (new) - added it

Lyn Caglio Loved your review, Justin. Mysteries are my go-to for escape so I’ll have to give this a try. I’m currently reading one of your highly recommends, In The Dream House, and I’m loving it! 👍

Justin Tate @Lyn isn’t Dream House great? I couldn’t get enough of it. Will be excited to hear what your final thoughts are! Silent Patient is a nice escape, for sure.

Laurene Great review!

Justin Tate Thank you!

Andrea Great review. Great read.🌞

Kristine Agree! I think it was over-hyped but still a great debut! ❤️📚

message 10: by Pamela (new) - added it

Pamela L. Nice review Justin, on my to read list.